In addition to the project instructions featured in our Install Features for Wildlife section, there are many excellent local and regional resources with detailed instructions for building, installing and maintaining hundreds of species-specific projects! Visit the links below to find project templates, instructions and more to attract and support wildlife throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
Find a Local Cooperative Extension
The Cooperative Extension System is a nationwide educational network that is a collaboration of federal, state and local governments and a state land-grant university. Extensions provide detailed information and resources on animal, plant, agriculture and wildlife topics (and more): best plant choices, pests and pest control, sustainable landscaping, habitat project instructions and much more. Extension offices also offer one-on-one assistance for questions. Every U.S. state and territory has a central state Extension office at its land-grant university. Each state Extension also serves its residents through a network of local or regional offices staffed by professionals in their field.
State Wildlife Habitat Resources
Check out these excellent local instructional resources on attracting, supporting and (if necessary) rescuing regional wildlife species, including species-specific habitat project instructions.
University of Maryland Extension: Wildlife & Plants
Maryland Wild Acres: Wildlife Habitat Projects
Maryland Naturalist Organizations
Maryland Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
Bees of Maryland Field Guide
DC Department of Energy & the Environment
DC School Gardens Program
Project Noah: DC Wildlife Citizen Science
Second Chance Wildlife Center (rescue & rehab)
Wildlife Rescue League (rescue & rehab)
Regional / National Wildlife Resources
Check out these regional and national resources for creating or enhancing wildlife habitats (some are also featured on individual project pages).
- Forests for the Bay (Scroll to “Enhancing Wildlife Habitats”)
- Habitat Network Habitat Article Collection
- Humane Backyard
- Humane Gardener
- National Wildlife Federation: Garden for Wildlife
- North American Bluebird Society
- Sustainable Landscape Maintenance Manual Chesapeake Bay Watershed
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Schoolyard Habitat Guide
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Schoolyard Habitats: Additional Resources
- USFWS Chesapeake Bay Field Office: BayScapes
- USFWS Schoolyard Habitat Guide: Birdhouse Specifications
- Windstar Wildlife Institute
- Yard Map